Monday, May 31, 2010

Apple Pie Baking Experience, Part 2

I can honestly say that I was delighted to discover how easy it was to make this pie.  Yes, it took a little elbow grease to get it done but it was fun.  Read on for part 2!

I put my pie crust back in the fridge while I washed, peeled and sliced up 6 cups of apples for the filling.  After they were sliced, I mixed up some sugar and ground cinnamon and juiced one lemon.  I brought out my pie crust and the dough ball for the top of the pie, and set to work on layering my apples in the pan.  After each layer of apples I sprinkled on some of the sugar mixture, and continued layering until I was out of apples.  Then I put a few pieces of butter on top, poured the lemon juice into the filling and added just a sprinkle of flour to help thicken up the juices.



After that I got to play around with the design on top.  I decided to do the simple weaved look, and although it was a little messy I think it turned out alright.  Then I made an egg wash with one egg and a splash of milk, brushed that over the top and added some sugar so it would get shiny and a bit crispy.  Then I stuck it in the oven to bake and the good smells of apple pie baking filled the house. Yum.


Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: